As of March 31, 2014.
Personal Information is any information about an identifiable individual or that permits an individual to be identified. In general, Personal Information does not include business contact information, such as your name, title, business address, telephone number, facsimile number or e-mail address.
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Wang Legal collects, uses and discloses Personal Information in order to provide you with professional legal or other related services, including for the following purposes:
- to establish and manage client relationships, provide legal advice, perform legal services, fulfill legal duties, and avoid conflicts of interest;
- to share Personal Information with third parties for the purposes of providing legal services in the context of legal proceedings or business transactions;
- to establish and maintain commercial relationships with clients, service providers, agents, contractors or other third parties, including to administer accounts and records and to bill for services;
- to communicate with clients, service providers, agents, contractors and other third parties about our firm and our services or about legal developments that we think would interest you;
- to develop and manage our document management, knowledge-management and precedent systems and databases;
- to develop and manage our business and operations, including any financing involving Wang Legal;
- to detect and protect against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with our policies and contractual obligations;
- to fulfill our legal and professional obligations; and
- as permitted or required by law or for purposes for which you otherwise provide your consent.
- Wang Legal may also collect information about your business and business interests or your personal interests to better serve you and foster our relationship. When possible, we will collect Personal Information from you directly. However, to provide legal services to clients or for legal, administrative, marketing or management purposes, we may also collect information from outside sources (including, credit bureaus, government agencies or institutions or through other third parties such as accountants or other professional advisors). We may also collect information as agents on behalf of our clients where we or they have obtained the requisite consent.
We do not collect, use or disclose Personal Information without consent unless permitted or required by law to do so, such as in the following circumstances:
- if a client provides Personal Information about third parties to us for purposes of our legal representation or advice to the client;
- where a court order or subpoena is issued, or under applicable rules of production, a regulatory or other body with jurisdiction to compel production so requires;
- when the information is publicly available within the meaning of applicable privacy legislation, such as in professional or other directories, in public registries, publicly-filed court records or information appearing in published form;
- if we are investigating the breach of an agreement, a legal duty or contravention of a law and obtaining consent would compromise the investigation or the accuracy of the information;
- if we are required to disclose Personal Information to a lawful authority.
- As practicing lawyers, we are subject to professional and ethical obligations and we do not disclose Personal Information subject to lawyer-client privilege unless the privilege is lawfully waived or we are required by law to do so.
Wang Legal may enter into arrangements with service providers, agents, contractors and other third parties, within or outside of Canada, for administrative, processing or other services related to services rendered to and for our clients (e.g. data processing, computer backup services or archival storage services and office services). Where we transfer your Personal Information for these purposes, we limit such parties’ use of the Personal Information to the services it provides to us, and we require such parties to maintain the confidentiality of the Personal Information and to take steps to protect the security of the Personal Information. Personal Information provided to service providers, agents, contractors or other third parties outside of Canada is subject to the laws of those jurisdictions, and may be accessed by governmental authorities in those jurisdictions.
Safeguarding Your Personal Information
Wang Legal takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that Personal Information is kept safe from loss or theft, unauthorized access, use, modification or disclosure.
Please note that no method of transmitting or storing information is completely secure. While we take appropriate steps to safeguard information under our control, there is always a risk that it may be lost, intercepted, altered or misused. There is an inherent risk involved in the exchange of information using any form of communication, such as e-mail, telephone, fax and courier service. We cannot guarantee that exchanges of information will always be received, or that such communications and documents will be virus free. We assume no liability for any loss, costs or damages you may suffer as a result of the loss, interception, alteration or misuse of information during such transfers. E-mail is our preferred method of communication and, unless you object, we will use unencrypted plain text e-mails when communicating with you.
Privacy and Website
On-line Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for such purposes as obtaining information, participating in an event or a survey or asking a question. We use the Personal Information you provide only for the purpose for which you have provided it. If you are known to Wang Legal as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
Accuracy and Access to Personal Information
In order to provide a professional level of service and to maintain appropriate contact preferences, we may ask you to update your Personal Information, contact information or preferences from time to time.
You may access, verify and amend your Personal Information collected by us. Any request for access must be in writing addressed to your lawyer or our Privacy Officer at the address below. In certain circumstances we may be unable to provide you with access to some or all of your Personal Information or we may deny your request to correct information. If we are unable to provide you with access or we deny your request, we will provide an explanation of the reasons for doing so.
Questions or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns about our Personal Information management practices, or if you wish to change any consent regarding our collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information, please write to our Privacy Officer at:
Standard Life Centre
121 King Street West, Suite 2150
Toronto, Ontario M5H 3T9